Flat off the mark by Richard Jones

Bendigo Football League round two…

kangarooflatKANGAROO Flat evened up its season to a one win-one loss record following an emphatic 38-point victory over Eaglehawk on Saturday.

The inaccuracy which plagued the Roos in round one was evident at Canterbury Park in the first half but in its favour the Flat defence completely shut down the Hawks’ attack in the opening two terms.

Very few sides which kick 1.2 in the opening two quarters of a match – which is all Eaglehawk managed – are headed for a win.

And with Hunter Lloyd and Jarryd Wiegard in control of Flat’s back half Rhys Healey (six goals) and Corey Greer (3) snared the majors that handed the Roos the four premiership points.

The Hawks did land seven goals to five in the second half. But they’d started the second half 53 points down and only managed to slash the ultimate margin to 38 points as Flat coasted to victory: 13.17 (95) to 8.9 (57).

The Roos started in similar fashion to Week 1. From 10 scoring shots they managed 3.7 in the first quarter with an across-the-ground breeze difficult to manage on an otherwise perfect autumn day.

The Flat midfield headed by Greer and Tom Holman, aided by pacy wingers Sam Maddern and Ash Benbow, hardly allowed the ball into the Hawks’ front half.

Marty Kelly was a revelation for the Flat. His possession count was in double figures by quarter time and although it took the Roos 18 minutes to land their first major they were 17 points up by the first change

While Eaglehawk did not add to their score in the second term Flat put the final result beyond reach by adding 5.6 at the Simpson’s Road end.

It was virtually ‘game over’ by half-time.

Eaglehawk’s field kicking was atrocious. Four times before the long break Hawks’ players booted the ball out-of-bounds on the full down the grandstand wing. They also consistently missed teammates who were in the clear with appalling chip kicks, handing the ball back to Roo opponents.

Hawks’ key forward Cam McGlashan shone in the third term. He hammered home two goals in two minutes, the second a ripper from a 52 metre set shot.

But the Green and Whites got going again in the final quarter adding 5.2 to Eaglehawk’s four, straight goals. Healey was unstoppable, adding three majors with his fifth – a long shot from the scoreboard flank boundary at the Simpson’s Road end – as impressive as McGlashan’s in the third term.

Flat coach Jason Stevens said it was good to atone for the Round 1 loss with a win at Eaglehawk.

“It’s always hard to win at Canterbury Park but we were confident with the 22 we had. And we realise we’ve got a bit of strength to come back into the side as well.

“So we’re really happy with where we’re at after the disappointment of Round One,” said Stevens, known as ‘Jugga’ to everyone in the central Victorian footy world.

Eaglehawk mentor Luke Monaghan was a tad philosophical in his after-match comments. “Seven of their goals came from our turnovers in the back half so it shows you can’t afford to consistently give the ball back to a good footy side.

“Having said that we won the second half so we showed what we’re capable of. But if you give a good side so much football and so much time and space you’re going to pay – we got out-worked and we got out-skilled so we definitely needed to show something after half-time,” he said.

sandhurstSANDHURST posted its biggest winning score and highest margin since early in the 1995 season with a massive 238-point annihilation of struggling Maryborough.

But with only seconds left to play in Saturday’s opening quarter the Magpies were just two, straight kicks down.

A major after the quarter-time siren to skipper Blair Holmes started the Hurst avalanche. They booted 32 goals to three in the concluding three quarters to humiliate the young and struggling Maryborough outfit.

The Dragons had no less than 14 individual goalkickers with Nick Stagg and Matt Thornton leading the tally with six each, followed by Galen Munari with five and Matt Gray with four.

Maryborough coach Shane Skontra said clubs such as Sandhurst, which was still clearly in a “premiership window”, handed his young side a complete learning experience.

“Sandhurst is a mature group, they’re well-drilled and they know each other’s game styles really well. We’ve had a losing culture (for some time) and players fall back into bad habits so we’ll need to address these lapses, particularly large lapses such as we had against Sandhurst.”

Skontra added everyone connected with Maryborough would remain positive as the club focused on the round three home clash with Eaglehawk.

KynetonSmallPawsIn the only other Saturday game Kyneton trailed South Bendigo by 12 points at the last change but used its final opportunity with the strong Kyneton Showgrounds breeze to win by 22 points.

Tiger coach Luke Beattie lamented his side’s poor conversion rate. From 33 scoring shots Kyneton booted just 11 majors.

“Making the most of our chances is something we really need to work on because there will be games, which this one almost was, where inaccurate kicking could potentially cost us the game,” he said.

Star Tiger forward Ben Weightman won the Anzac Day commemorative medal for his best afield display. Weightman bagged seven goals to take his 2016 tally to 12 while Ethan Foreman nailed two.

The Bloods booted six of their nine goals in the third term with defender Jacob Smythe named as South’s best.

IN Monday’s Anzac Day twilight games top three contenders Golden Square and Strathfieldsaye scored crushing wins over Gisborne and Castlemaine, respectively.

It wasn’t a great night for the Maine Magpies as they switched on their new Camp Reserve lights for the first time in a BFNL fixture.

The Storm went further and further ahead as the evening wore on with Lachie Sharp booting seven goals, five of which came off his boot in the first half.

At the Gardiner Reserve Square booted 12 goals to two in the pivotal third quarter and another five to zero in the final stanza.

Adam Baird slotted six goals for Golden Square.

Monday’s results set up a round 3 blockbuster on Saturday between premiership fancies Square and the Storm at the Golden Square MyJet Oval.

Final scores: Sandhurst 37.25 (247) def. Maryborough 6.3 (39), Kyneton 11.22 (88) def. South Bendigo 9.12 (66), Strath Storm 22.10 (142) def. Castlemaine 7.9 (51) and Golden Square 25.21 (171) def. Gisborne 8.5 (53).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s