Our commitment to your privacy
"Only lawful and fair means"
We only collect personal information by lawful and fair means and only where the information is necessary for one or more of its business or administrative functions. We may collect personal information:
* So that we can promptly contact you if you wish to participate in a Discussion Group or if you wish to advertise in the newspaper;
* So that you can be the first to know about our up-coming events, special offers, new services and contests, etc;
* When you Contact Us to provide feedback or make complaints.
We may also collect non-personal information when you browse our website or use our online facilities in order to help make the website better. However, we do not use "cookies" to monitor website usage.
Please note that if we are unable to collect personal information from you, then we may not be able to provide appropriate information or services to you.
Disclosing personal information
Except as provided for below, Independent Newspapers, Westender, 3E Innovative, Artsguide and Associated Websites will not use your personal information including your e-mail address for purposes other than those stated above or when you sign to a particular promotion or disclose your personal information to third parties unless stated.
Under the National Privacy Principles, Independent Newspapers, Westender, 3E Innovative, Artsguide and Associated Websites may use or disclose personal information where:
* You expressly consent to our use and disclosure;
* Personal information is used or disclosed for a purpose which is directly related to the purposes stated above and you would reasonably expect us to engage in this type of use or disclosure;
* Subject to other limitations, it is not practicable for us to obtain your consent for marketing purposes;
* We are required by law to disclose such information;
* We believe that it is necessary to protect the safety of our business or of others;
* We believe that it is relevant to investigations of alleged unlawful activity or to law enforcement matters.
Your personal information may also be shared with:
* Our insurance or legal representatives for the purpose of resolving complaints fairly and equitably.
The Independent Newspapers, Westender, 3E Innovative, Artsguide and Associated Websites may also disclose de-personalized information to third parties for statistical and marketing purposes.
Additional information about the National Privacy Principles is available from the Privacy Commissioner.
You can browse our website and enquire about Independent Newspapers, Westender, 3E Innovative, Artsguide and Associated Websites services without providing personal information other than your name, address and e-mail address. However, if you wish to make an advertising booking, enter a contest or make a general enquiry, you may need to provide more information.
Protecting personal information
We take reasonable security precautions to prevent unauthorized access to any personal information that we may hold about you.
We also take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that we may hold when it is no longer needed.
Right of access and correction and complaints procedures
We take reasonable steps to make sure that any personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate and up-to-date.
You can access any personal information that we may store about you and, if necessary, request us to correct information that is inaccurate or out-of-date.
At your request, we will also provide you with additional information about the way we manage personal information.
* Your name
* Your postal address
* The subject matter of concern
If we cannot resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, you can seek help from the Privacy Commissioner.